[Greenbuilding] ***SPAM*** Insulating Joists in a Pier Foundation

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Mon Jul 18 17:48:28 CDT 2022

I am so glad that this list is still active!

My issue is somewhat similar to Reuben's.  I bought a home in
Bracebridge ON (just north of the 45th parallel). The house is on piers
that go to bedrock.  The slope of the land goes from 1' above grade to
about 4'. The majority is at 3-4 feet in height. Terrain under the house
is mostly rock, with some sandy loam. Sides are skirted and it's
unheated. House is 20'x'40' approx and it's a full-time residence.

The house will have an addition in the spring, but the bulk of the
existing structure will remain, as it's pretty well built.

My issues:

I'm seeking advice on insulating the underside of the main level. It's
currently open, with Rockwool is between the joists, but they are
otherwise exposed (underside of main level floor). I want to upgrade the
insulation, so am thinking about using ISO or similar rigid board to
span the joists. Ideally, I'd like something to allow vapour to flow
out, block vapour coming in  and also provide a thermal break for the
joists.  A neighbour raves about IKO Enerfoil sheathing, but I suspect
it will not act as a vapour barrier in the manner I want.  Any
suggestions are appreciated.

My second question is related. Is 6mil poly sufficient to lay on the
exposed ground to avert moisture from the earth? Is there a better
option (that's affordable)?

Many thanks!

https://www.avg.com