[Greenbuilding] ***SPAM*** Mini split compressors and snow

Allison Friedman afriedman at rateitgreen.com
Thu Oct 27 01:16:49 CDT 2022

Where do the folks here weigh in on mini split compressors and snow?  I worked to be careful not to just complain about this installation, because there’s still debate as to the ideal solution.  But I did ask at the time, I swear.  And I do plan to make some changes.  I also do know retrofits make everything more complicated.

I don’t know if links work here, but what have you all done to keep snow off mini split compressors and to control vibration on your projects and homes? This link has the ideas that have been shared with me so far, as well as photos of the challenge, and snow!
https://www.rateitgreen.com/green-building-community/discussions/products/mini-split-compressor-placement-in-cold-climates-think-about-snow-and-other-conditions/5663 <https://www.rateitgreen.com/green-building-community/discussions/products/mini-split-compressor-placement-in-cold-climates-think-about-snow-and-other-conditions/5663>

If links don’t work, are photos ok?  I like the idea of a snow lean to, but… our builder really thinks it’s super ugly.

Thanks for any ideas.  As much as I work to host and promote all the green building information I can reasonably find or that others can make the time to share, I still feel it’s still tougher than I’d have hoped by now to find the information we need to make sustainable and sensible decisions.  I feel like this is a fun one to share, and yet I also really want to make the best plan - and implement it.

I received some photos of a solution today (which I just posted), and it occurred to me that this group might have some ideas as well.  We’re also looking at some big ideas to reduce our consumption - I am trying to make that equipment replacement plan I advise others to make so one doesn’t get caught in an emergency situation, like with no heat.  But it’s not easy.  You really have to ask and even advocate sometimes!

Thanks,
Allison

Allison Friedman
Rate It Green
www.rateitgreen.com <http://www.rateitgreen.com/>
afriedman at rateitgreen.com <mailto:afriedman at rateitgreen.com>
@rateitgreen (Twitter) <https://twitter.com/rateitgreen>
Rate It Green’s Youtube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFk640kwkL4pio2tYCmsww> (Subscribe today!)

https://www.facebook.com/rateitgreen <https://www.facebook.com/rateitgreen>
https://www.linkedin.com/company/rate-it-green <https://www.linkedin.com/company/rate-it-green>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/allisontfriedman/ <https://www.linkedin.com/in/allisontfriedman/>

Rate It Green works to connect green builders everywhere.

Rate It Green is an open green building information resource and network.  Through company, product and service listings, individual profiles, and interactive content such as discussions, groups, articles, events, and news, Rate It Green enables information exchange critical to expanding the green building industry and reducing the impact of the built environment.  Together with our Members and Partners, our team works towards a time when all buildings will be built and operated more sustainably as a matter of course.  Rate It Green welcomes all green builders, from beginners to seasoned experts, and for both residential and commercial projects.  Individual Membership and Basic Company Listings are FREE of charge.