[Greenbuilding] Remodeling concerns

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 10:05:21 CST 2024

Hi. I've been on this forum for many years, but I am not an architect or
qualified expert.  I came across this article today and had some concerns
about this project.
1. By air source heat pump, I assume they mean mini-split(s). I did some
calculations rencenty and found that electricity is about 9 times more
expensive per therm than gas. Combining with the very cold temperatures we
typically get, I imagine The bill will be higher than if they had a gas
boiler. Also, they now have to deal with uneven temperatures throughout the
house and leaving doors open to all the rooms they want heated.  What do
you think?
2. I have read about dangers of using spray foam in an old
house--especially the potential for rot.  What do you think?

This article reads as an advertisement for doing this sort of remodel
without mentioning any of the potential downsides.  I'd love to hear your
thoughts.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2024/02/18/renovating-old-1909-st-paul-house-into-all-electric-green-home

Ben Pratt

-----------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely
for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message
has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by
reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited.