[Stoves] Forest residues use, as applied to the wet process /low pressure, hand briquettemaking, briquetter....

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 05:09:03 CST 2010

Dear Richard,
agricultural residues are difficult to collect from the field if the crop is
harvested using a combine harvester. But in most farms in India, the
harvesting is done manually and the threshing is done on a threshing floor.
In such a case, a huge quantity of residue accumulates near the threshing
floor. The officials of the Department of Agriculture recommend that the
residues be either composted or spread back on the field to rot there. But
the farmers burn the residues instead. Since the residues are present at one
place in relatively large quantities, one can think of briquetting them
either as such or after charring them.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Richard Stanley
<rstanley at legacyfound.org>wrote:

> The resource picture as applied to wet process briquetting, would tend to
> see the actual forest resource data a bot more  selectively, because they
> will just be picking off the leaf and twig faction...
>
> Even at that, few producers, working in their local  capacity as self
> contained and sustained, unsubsidized  entrepreneurships, will go around
> raking up leaves off a forest floor because it's simply too much work !
>  They and we here in Obamaland-- for our own household, will generally just
> look for this stuff where its windblown in depressions or other natural
> areas of wind deposition (corners of buildings, curbs, trenches,  gullies
> etc)...These places are,  nicely enough, usually locations where the leaf
> extraction is both aesthetically friendly and environmentally neutral,
> because their removal cleans up the environment and has little to zero
>  impact on soil tilth..
>
> Even at that however, ag residues are only part of the resource.
> Why ? Simple economy of effort. Most of us will prefer to seek out readily
> available commercial processing wastes ( sawdust/ rice husks / charcoal
> crumbs/ waste paper and selected cartonboard residues) as these do not
> require fermentation and / or entensive retting.
>
> The ag residue blending part requires greater skills in handling too: Its
> for Briquetting 202
>
> Pressing on,
>
> Richard Stanley
> back home in Obamaland
>

>  On Dec 3, 2010, at 3:38 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
>
>   Dear Ron and Richard
>
> I have seen it writ here and there that 50% of the biomass of a
> commercially managed forest remains on the forest floor after harvesting
> (branches, leaves and stumps). It is often raked into rows and burned to
> prevent fires later.
>
> Regards
> Crispin

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
> Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
> Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *