[Stoves] [biochar-policy] More on briquettes and pellets

Jock Gill jg45 at me.com
Sun Dec 5 07:57:16 CST 2010

Ron,

I have been able to make very good char, as tested by Hugh McLaughlin, from grass tablets.  These have a diameter of about 1.5 inches and I break them into wafers about 1/2 CM thick.  My first batch of grass tablet biochar was actually made by Paul Anderson in one of his TLUDs.

Please see this post from Nov. 2009: http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/931

I also find that quenching the biochar at the end of the pyrolysis is not critical at all.  If I leave one of my iCans overnight, I lose less than half the charcoal.  My guess is that this is the result of tuning the iCan for the least amount of primary air.  I have noted that when the pyrolysis is over, the bed of charcoal emits "smoke".  My goal is for zero smoke, but find that I can still get god biochar if the smoke is essentially gone in less than two minutes.  My practice is to only quench after the smoke has essentially finished f within in about 3 minutes after the pyrolysis flames extinguish themselves.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
P.O. Box 3