[Stoves] [biochar-policy] More on briquettes and pellets

Jock Gill jg45 at me.com
Sun Dec 5 18:34:39 CST 2010

Otto,

Thanks for your reply. Yet, I fear, another mis-understanding.

Please see a few notes below.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
P.O. Box 3
Peacham,  VT  05862
Carbon Negative Solutions
(G) (802) 503-1258

On Dec 5, 2010, at 7:08 PM, Otto Formo wrote:

> Dear Jock,
> I realy dont know what you guys are up to, but if you think a "second hand" TLUD is good enough for Africa or even Haiti, I think you are on the wrong track.

The iCans are not second hand and are principally intended for students so that the students can bring the concepts home and "sell them" to their.  This is the only way the word "recycle" got its power:  children teaching parents.  To work in schools, the cost has to be as low a possible, hence repurposing cans which might otherwise be seen as "waste".  The best way to promote the diffusion of clean burning stoves and to reach scale as quickly as possible will be through young students.  This follows the internet paradigm of leveraging resources at the edges.

> May be for the demonstration to students about biochar, but then you have not read the objectives for "The Global Alliance for Clean Cokkstoves" and the focus of the working groups. To my knowledge, to tune a TLUD to produce only biochar and skip the energy content in the biomass is just as easy as you describe in the "Two can " or Ican, you call it.

Otto, how did you get the idea I would ever suggest "tune a TLUD to produce only biochar and skip the energy content"?   Actually, if you will take the time to make an iCan or two, you will see they are tuned for CLEANEST operation as well as good quality biochar.  What it is the point of dirty pyrolysis that creates soot and or wastes fuel?  You want students to understand how to get the best performance from any and all fuel they have available, and this will always require tuning.

Please take a look at the Peacham Volcano iCan as an example of a dual purpose design:

	http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/1116

This is a Swiss design converted from combustion to pyrolysis.

> But even the World Bank is focusing on "both" operations and mentioned even the TLUD consept asking for inputs for their last study on small scale biochar and householdenergy production.
> Thats a "total" different story when you have to tune the TLUD to operate in both cooking and biochar "modus".

This is exactly what the iCan is designed to teach students.  Perhaps this is why the State Department has expressed some initial interest?

An elephant in the room is perhaps this:  The Global Alliance projects a total budget of $250 million for 100 million installed stoves.  This is only $2.50 per stove.  Yet I see that $10 per stove is a common estimated price point.  There is a real disconnect here.  Further, I expect that we need something closer to 1 billion of these stoves.  The sad part is that we can find billions for war and destruction, but not even $1 billion for clean burning stoves that improve health, the environment and the soils of the world.

> About Nataniel`s Lucia stove, I canot recal any observation of tests results and thats why I found it strange that Lifetime International is looking for assistance from Dean to tune a TLUD for Haiti................
> I thought that Lifetime International was very much linked to WorldStove as a partner, at least on Haiti.........or am I mistaken?

I am not informed on this issue so am unable to comment.

> I cant see to much point to chat on details, which can easily be solved and discussed in a fora like the working groups arranged by the "Alliance", unless "somebody" like to prove their skills to a "learned" audience.
>
> Have good nights chat.
>
> Otto

Cheers,

Jock