[Stoves] Biochar Projects for Science Students

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:28:56 CST 2010

Dear Jeff and Crispin,
at least in India, if you want to sell a substance as an insecticide, you
must have the permission from the Central Board of Pesticides to label your
product as an insecticide. In order to get this permission, you have to
spend millions of dollars to show that the substance only killed insects,
without harming other living beings. You may also be asked to show that the
substance is relatively harmless to beneficial insects like honeybees or
silk worms. To prove its harmlessness, you have to conduct tests on plants,
beneficial insects, fish, birds, mammals, monkeys, humans etc. The tests
have to take into consideration not only the instantaneous effect, but also
the chronic effects, like cancers, effect on embryos, etc. Therefore the
trials have to be conducted over several years. Only multinational companies
can afford to do that.  It has been shown by many researchers that certain
sulphur containing compounds extracted from onion, garlic, mustard, etc also
have insecticidal properties. But one cannot sell them as insecticides,
because the certificate from the Central Board of Pesticides is lacking.
Many farmers therefore make the extracts in their own kitchen and use them
on their own crops. Some companies sell the extracts, but without mentioning
on the label that it is to be used as an insecticide. It may be due to the
same reason that the neem oil purchased by you did not mention on the label
that it was to be used as an insecticide.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Jeff Davis <jeff0124 at velocity.net> wrote:

> Dear Crispin,
>

> The web page touted insect control but when the bottle arrived it only
> said it contained neem oil and how to add/mix the emulsifier and water.
> The emulsifier was included in a separate container.
>

> Regards,
>

> Jeff
>

> On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 20:45 +0800, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> > Did it have insect management marked on the bottle as one of its
> > properties?

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
> Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *