[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

frank frank at compostlab.com
Mon Dec 6 12:01:56 CST 2010

Stovers,

I have washed a lot of dung and compost. We like to have it clean : )
When doing weed seed testing we wash out all the salts and soluble
organics that, if remained, can make the mix go anaerobic. We wash until
the electrical conductivity is less than 1 mmhos/cm. Then place the mud
on a bed of sand to let drain and air both above and below. Then add
seeds to one corner to make sure if there were weed seeds they have the
conditions to grow.

The washing is done by the following: Place dung in a five gallon
bucket., fill with water and mix. Prepare a smaller plastic bucket by
cutting out the bottom , duct tape a fine mesh screen over the bottom.
With up-N-down motion move the smaller bucked down through the muddy
water. The up-N-down keeps the screen clean. The water that goes into
the small bucket is removed by a smaller bucket until as much of the
water as possible is removed. Then repeat the process until the water is
clear or the EC is below one mmhos/cm.

Frank