[Stoves] Disapprovals about being too closed. Re: Air supply in TLUDs

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:46:20 CST 2010

On Sunday 05 December 2010 21:10:20 rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:

> I somehow missed (or forgot) this video (cite below) from Nat. Do you
> think that was up in 2008? It explains all the key terms - the most
> important being "venturi".- not a part of any TLUD - the patentable
> feature of the Lucia .

The thing about venturi is that they demand well engineered surfaces to
produce the convergent-divergent shapes that produce the effect. Not
easily achieved with bent bits of tin, as I commented at the time we
first mentioned Nat's designs on [stoves] they use engineering processes
to achieve these results. I have yet to see how they compare with Paal's
device he made at Aprovecho using only tin cans and hand tools, all in
about an hour IIRC.

> Do you have charcoal-making weather yet in London?

The weather is ideal, an early cold snap that has disrupted life in my
part of the SE. one of those occurrences that is judged not worth being
prepared for yet has happened 3 years running now.

I'm not making any charcoal because all of the partners I had hoped would
make use of my services are struggling to keep in house staff working.
For my home part I'm making full use of the calorific value of wood to
heat the place.

I do have 2 25kW pellet stoves and, soon, a 150kW woodchip boiler
available to play with, though they are all somewhat worse for wear.

AJH