[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

frank frank at compostlab.com
Mon Dec 6 17:07:11 CST 2010

Paul and all,

When washing dung most disappears in the wash water.  So you are left
with a fraction of what you started with and a lot of anaerobic solution
that will need aeration to stable before a lot can be applied.

The minerals in dung (not washed) will convert to carbonate (CaCO3,
NaCO3 etc)  form so there will be more liming of the soil if the salts
are not washed out (I think this is what happens). This not necessarily
a bad thing. If heated higher it may go to oxides.  The oxides are more
of a problem because there is no buffering to keep the pH from going too
high when applied in high amounts.

The more minerals may cause more deposit in the stove as a crust.  Has
this been seen in our small stoves? I have ashed a lot of organic
biomass material at 550 deg C and found a very small fraction of samples
form more than an ash that is easily removed from the container.

Regards
Frank