[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Dec 6 22:21:19 CST 2010

AD, Crispin, Frank,  Kevin and all others concerned with dung briquettes,

While in Arusha Tanzania recently, I discovered that one of the lead briquette trainers in Kenya, Francis Kavita, has been teaching the Masaai how to make co dung briquettes for the past several months. Your insights, Kevin and frank  about carcinogens/ chloride blindness etc are intersting and I have duely passed them on to Francis.
As to dilution of nasty compounds the normal wet low pressure briquetting process uses water--- but rarely is anything wasted in the process. The water expelled for the cylinder on compression, is recycled as well.

However the practice of washing away unwanted elements is common to briquetters as it is to conventional washing of seeds, beans cassava  and other plant material in traditional food preparation. In briquetting,  certain carcinogenic and foul smelling glues in certain types of cartonboard are diluted nad washed off this way. There is no real reason that the same technique could be applied for preparing "clean cow dung" as well.
 Will revert back to the group with what Francis says about all this..when  he next finds a nearby internet cafe with electricity or at least petrol for their generator.
Thanks again though for the insights.
Richard Stanley