[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 01:58:59 CST 2010

Dear stovers,
dung from herbivores is of two kinds. The ruminants (bovine cattle, water
buffalos) chew cud and therefore the dung consists of very fine particles.
Filtering them out from a watery suspension is a bit problematic. I think
that a filter press might serve the purpose better. The dung of
non-ruminants, e.g. horses, donkeys, elephants (elephants belong to the
category of domesticated animals in India) contains longer fibres and it is
easy to clean it by washing and straining it through cloth. Allowing the
dung tea to flow into the field is O.K., but it may not have all the
minerals that plants need. After all, when animals eat the plants, their
bodies extract not only the digestible organic carbon, but also all the
minerals that the animal needs.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Kevin <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:

>  Dear Crispin
>

>  The basic concept I propose is as follows:
>
> 1: Slurry the dung with water
>
> 2: Filter the water and any solubles and press the remaining dung cake.
>
> 3: Shape and dry the remaining dung cake
>

> 1: Slurry the dung:
>
> Mix the dung with water, to an "adequate" degree of dilution, such that
> most of the solubles will be dissolve in the wash water. If water is readily
> available, and if there is a large need for irrigation water for
> agriculture, then single stage washing can probably be used. If water is
> scarce, and if the scale of operation is small, it might be better to do a
> "two stage wash",
>

> 2: Filtering
>
> Separation of the water from the slurry can be done in a number of ways.
> The first stage of water and solubles separation is probably best done by
> simple decantation. Floating material can be skimmed off the top, and
> relatively clear liquid can then be drained off. However, it should be
> filtered through cloth, to ensure that a clear liquid is produced, if the
> manure tea is to be used in a "fertigation system" involving relatively
> small distribution nozzles that may be prone to plugging. The remaining
> bottom material will still be very wet, and is probably best dewatered using
> a filter press system, or filter bags.
>

> 3: Shaping the washed dung.
>
> Depending on the desired end use, the moist washed dung can then be shaped
> to the desired final shape, and then dried. Obviously, many shapes are
> possible:
>
> * Briquettes
>
> * Pellets
>
> * Sheets
>
> * Etc.
>

> The washed dung will tend to be high in lignin, and relatively low in
> cellulose, in that the animal would have digested much of the original
> cellulose in the feed. Depending on the degree of washing and the
> characteristics of the washed dung, it may, or may not have sufficient
> binders to hold the washed dung together in the desired shape. Experimental
> work would be necessary to determine if added binders would be required, and
> quantities required.
>

> Following are my comments on the replies received to date....

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *