[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 06:53:07 CST 2010

Dear Kevin

I am not repeating your many comments. They were all useful. Thanks. The
places where dung will be used as fuel is where they are in use already. In
other words it is not worth at this early stage planning on cleaning the
fuel too much unless it assist combustion. We can work in stages: continued
gathering of scattered data, working on anything that burns better, then
tuning the fuel and the stove to produce a combination that is acceptable.

What should happen is that the present system is evaluated for emissions as
a baseline and the stove checked to make sure they 'cause no harm' beyond
what is there now. Something we expect is that the flame temperature will be
higher as the gases are burned more efficiently in lower excess air. If the
chemistry suggests that dioxins will be higher (or high enough to be a
concern for the local environment) then it needs to be quantified and
limited.