[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 4, Issue 13

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Dec 7 09:58:18 CST 2010

Dear Rajan
----- Original Message -----
From: <rajan_jiby at dataone.in>
To: "Kevin" <kchisholm at ca.inter.net>; "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves"
<>>>

> Dear Kevin,
>
> Well, we also use biogas plants where animal dung is a major feedstock.
>
> Here the energy part comes out as methane ( which is used as fuel ) and
> the slurry from the plant contains all the nutrients ( without any loss ).

I have no experience with biogas plants run on animal manure. Is the slurry
from a biogas plant filterable? If so, would it potentially make a fuel
equivalent or superior to dung that was burned directly, with no washing?

As I understand it, Richard Stanley uses a retting process on biomass, to
develop binding characteristics for his holey briquette feed. Would the
drained solids from a biodigester perhaps have better "binder
characteristics than freshly washed dung? Perhaps Righard has already
explored this avenue?

Best wishes,

Kevin