[Stoves] Bark and its uses

IPC ipcipc at mweb.co.za
Mon Dec 20 05:11:52 CST 2010

"We have burned plantation residues in industrial boilers in New Zealand. In
order to make a clean fuel the nutrient laden bark, limbs and branches are
pretty well stripped and left in the soil. I think that amounts to about 20%
of the total biomass." Tom

One of our paper companies had a problem with a large dump of pine bark,
which was decaying slowly and anaerobically and giving off lots of methane.
It adapted its boilers to use the bark as fuel, displacing previously used
coal, and was able to claim a double whammy carbon credit - for the methane
stopped and coal not burned - which made the project have a 9 month payback.

Philip Lloyd
54 Alma Road
Rosebank, Cape Town
7700
Tel 021 686 9141
Cell 083 441 5247
plloyd at mweb.co.za
Skype philiplloyd3609

Remember - the world has been getting warmer for 150 years, and is still a
lovely place to live in. Reject prophets of doom.