[Stoves] Capturing carbon in the timber industry (now from soils perspective)

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 12:13:15 CST 2010

Tom, Kevin, Crispin, John Nissen and four lists (having added two):

1. I tend to think (can't yet prove) that John Nissen was hinting at the right track with his opening comment in this thread about a lot of left over material he saw at clear-cut sites in New Zealand: Biochar production. The advantages of course are more displacement of fossil fuels, improvement (postulated) of the soil, and (guaranteed) removal of CO2 from the atmosphere - with people ready to pay for all three benefits.

2. Next, Kevin questioned the second benefit saying (below): saying leaving is "probably" and "seems to be" best.. His are comments related only to the middle (soils) benefit. I submit the belief that at best the term should be "possible" - not "probable or "seems". The reasons for questioning Kenin's premise are these
a) we need also to replace fossil fuels
b) we need also to remove CO2
c) there is a huge mass of roots and microbe/fungus in the soil under the fallen branches and bark - to supply plenty of nutrients as they rot and decay. I have seen no evidence for a recently a clear-cut forest that leaving as-is is preferable to return as Biochar.
d) a good bit of the branch/bark/litter nutrient value can be returned to the same spot through (very long-lived) Biochar, with moisture-retaining benefits that may be more critical than the minerals and "dying microbe/fungus food" (dying because the above ground biomass is no longer supplying enough nutrients.
e) I guess (can't yet prove) that a portion (maybe half?) of the produced char would be better used to revegetate a different piece of barren and unproductive land - thinking of an optimum from the perspective of more than that of the single plot that John saw. For example, any char removed in year one can be thought of as borrowed - and similar char from the benefitted land can be returned in some other future out year.
f) we aren't ever going to be able to scrape clean all the debris from a clear-cut. Maybe trying to optimize the cost of the human labor part of the clean up (taking bigger pieces only) is the right optimization? That could (?) still leave a lot of debris and nutrients.

3. I also guess that the right optimization for removal of clear-cut debris depends a lot on the type of soil under consideration, what form of re-forestation is being planned and probably a few other factors like slope, rainfall, type of tree, proximity of other natural forest, proximity of people, etc.

4. I think the right group to be talking of this is the Biochar-soil group. I have added Biochar-policy as a group that may also have given this some thought or seen a pertinent citation.

5. Christoph Steiner has a piece of his web site devoted to photos of fallen logs (and similar) that he would like to see turned to Biochar. Not quite the same issue, but I would tend to trust Christoph on this topic. Christoph has spent a lot of time around Terra Preta soils - and it would seem that they did a lot of converting of cleared-forest biomass to char - with pretty darn good results (many centuries later).

6. Crispin shortly ago also had a question after Tom's message below on where nutrients reside - and I look forward to that discussion. I am not sure that the answer matters a lot if a good part of the Biochar is returned (reasons given above). That is, I wonder how much of the nutrients can be returned in the Biochar, how accessible when in Biochar form, and what portion obtained in growth of the tree reside in the (decaying) roots, and how difficult is it for microbes/fungi to replenish from the soil?

Other thoughts for John?

Ron