[Stoves] TLUD stove design change

frank frank at compostlab.com
Tue Dec 21 18:57:11 CST 2010

Dear Stovers,

I have been experimenting with different ways to make biochar using
pipes and glass (see through) TLUD units. The quality of the TLUD
biochar is very dependent on the particle size and uniformity coeff of
the fuel. If the particles differ (sawdust in one pie slice and chip in
another) the flame will channel down and there will be sections of
torrified fuel. And the gases release rate vary. This is a much smaller
stove than what Paul Anderson is using but I think the problem may still
occur as indicated by the variation of biochar quality.

When I place a pipe in a furnace and heat to 450 deg C  all the gases
stream out the small hole at one end and completes in 30 minutes from
the time temperature has been reached. Complete char is then removed.
I'm thinking a good design would be to pack fuel into a pipe with a
small tube attached at one end to a burner on the outside. Then heat the
pipe to 110 deg C to remove the water and seal until ready to use. Have
several lined up ready. Place the pipe into a larger insulated pipe with
the hole at the top fitted to the burner. Build a small fire in the
larger pipe and under the smaller pipe with sticks and controlled air.
Quickly the pipe will release pyrolyze gases to the burner under
pressure. A second smaller tube could be directed back to the fire at
the bottom (?) to continue that. With very controlled heat between 350
and 450 an even, complete, and  controlled release of gases could occur
until all is finished at the final 450 deg. C. Then the pipe is removed
and replaced with a second if needed. An excellent quality char is
produced. Never tried it but seems like a good idea : )

something like that.

Regards
Frank

.