[Stoves] re-kindling stoves

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 15:41:31 CST 2010

On Saturday 25 December 2010 20:43:14 Richard Stanley wrote:
> er, what again, about side feeding... ???

As I said in my reply I don't know about this stove.

For the general case I was waiting for some detail about briquettes from
you.

Consider that the 3 stone fire is a three legged side feeding stove with
no air control other than that provided by the unconstrained natural
convection around the fire and pot. Fuel control is by pushing sticks in.
Excess air around the burning fuel quenches the reaction and this is
where most blue smoke is generated.

The rocket is then one leg of the three stone fire with some containment
of the natural draught but as the fuel and air are fed concurrently
through the same hole there is still quenching from excess air.

A stove like the GTZ Crispin illustrated keeps the fuel feed separate from
the air feed and probably controls the rate of production of offgas ( the
bit that becomes the flame) by having a separate air supply to the
bottom, to burn char and drive off offgases, from the secondary air which
combines with the offgases to make the flame.

Now with a holy briquette being a uniform cross section there is probably
scope for using the hole as the primary air controll and having a
separate secondary air supply but it will depend on the rate at which the
briquettes burn .

Also Ronald pointed out that in the case of tlud it's the uniform rate at
which the pyrolysis front moves down that controls the power. Now there
may be a compromise somewhere between the vertical, char making, model
and the horizontal rocket model.

So yes I think a top lit  inclined side feeding briquette burner is
feasible and if the client is willing to discard a high carbon ash then
it should have low PMs.

AJH