[Stoves] Heat / cook stove

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 18:39:16 CST 2010

Hello,

Joined the list a few days ago and have been following the conversations
with interest.

I'm going to work with my x-partner to make me a wood stove for my
living truck.  Shes a blacksmith and has previously made a number of
ornamental stoves.
http://www.firebird-ironwork.co.uk/stoves-and-fires/

I read a few books a few years back about woodstove design which gave me
some knowledge about primary and secondary air.

My idea (drawn before I started reading posts here) is attached.

At the moment I'm thinking the dimensions will be
A - depth about 60cm
B - height about 40cm
C - stack diameter 13cm

It needs to front load as the top will be a big hot surface which will
be used for cooking etc.  The front door will be airtight and I was
going to put in a window so I can see what is going on inside.
The red pipe will be feeding preheated air.  Actually 2 pipes one for
primary that will feed to the bottom/back the other secondary) . and
both will have valves to regulate flow.  Flue pipe will be about 2
meters long.

In addition to this stove I'm going to have a large water tank with a
connected 'heat exchanger' that I can place on the stove top.  This will
heat the water tank while the stove is running which will then act as
heat mass and hopefully keep the well insulated/reasonably draft free
living space at a reasonable temperature for some time after the stove
has gone out.

I appreciate that this is not going to achieve a 'perfect' burn but
would appreciate any ideas for improvements / comments.

Best regards

Darren