[Stoves] Documenting Health effects of cooking with open fires

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Nov 1 11:17:07 CDT 2010

Richard,

WHY: Are we reducing the risk of death and disease from solid fuel burning?
We have seen positive local impacts. Are we making landscape or global
impacts yet? WHAT will it take to get there?

Many of us have individually spent a great deal of time and money on
improving cooking conditions. In September I returned to the farm - sitio-
in Brazil where in 1964 I was first aware of the need to improve indoor
cooking. I was an American Field Service Exchange student. My host family
had a small farm that supplied beef, pork and milk to the city. On Saturdays
the family ran an informal clinic at the farmhouse. Anyone in the area who
needed medical help would line up at the farmhouse. Family members,
including a doctor, would attend to their illnesses. My host brothers and I
would deliver medicine and dehydrated milk on horseback to people who
couldn't walk to the farm in the rough, thick, mato. In the 1970s, after
experiences in North Africa and the Middle East, I worked on improved stoves
in Mexico. Only much later did I learn the link between the medical
conditions and the smoke.

In the last 20 years we have seen many efforts: the Lorena, the Rocket,
these lists (since 1996), ETHOS (formed about 2000), PCIA (about 2004),
Shell Foundation. GTZ and others have been continuously engaged for a long
time. Secretary Clinton recently announced the expenditure of millions,
which was apparently the total of what has been spent on research at UC
Berkeley and PCIA. No new funding is on the horizon.

We always have to ask the questions "WHERE do  we go from here?" and "HOW do
we measure our progress?"

I suspect that we will continue to see the 1.3-1.6 million figures increase
as fuel demand increases with population growth. It's a tough challenge but
hopefully we're making a dent in it.

Tom