[Stoves] Oversized stoves / thermal insulation

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 01:53:00 CDT 2010

Dear Andrew

Good post. Lots in it.

> I'm not the fan of flue dampers that Crispin is, I prefer to maintain the
maximum depression in the secondary combustion area but this does require
good sealing to prevent excess air ingress. Maximum depression means the
combustion air can have a good velocity for turbulence and mixing with the
offgas from the primary combustion.<

I don't want to give the impression I favour dampers. I favour chimneys
which are correctly sized. Dampers have issues.

Once you have the right chimney, then you still have the issue of getting
the fluid dynamics you speak of above, exactly as you describe it.
Incidentally I am approaching the point of declaring that the length of the
space for the burn to take place has a virtually fixed relationship with the
fuel chemistry.

I have made very short paraffin flames from a fairly heavy oil (compared
with Butane of Methane) but still, getting a really clean burn with solid
fuels or solid fuels with heavy oil seems to have a clear relationship with
length of the flamed region.

Any thoughts on this? Could it make sense?

Thanks