[Stoves] interesting 90 pages gtz publication on stoves all over the world....

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 01:53:00 CDT 2010

Dear Friends

I had a look at the document and I see there is the Zambian mbaula on p.132
(bottom right). I have nominated it as probably the worst charcoal stove of
all time but I also see there for the first time the Mauritanian 'fourneau
malgache' (Malagasy stove).

That certainly has to be a competitor for the bottom ranking stove of all
time. Holy crow.

To qualify for this coveted position you have to make sure that no space
(open gap) exists between the charcoal and pot (to quench all flames that
might burn some of the CO) and also have a huge air supply to make sure lots
of cold air gets into the burning charcoal to create as much CO as possible.

To finish it off, there should be no skirt at all so any passing wind can
blow the heat away from the pot.

A western competitor in this category is the Haitian MIRAK with the pot rest
removed (often sold that way). It is slightly improved with the rest in
palce, and terrible without it (the pot sitting right on the charcoal
choking everything).

My goodness we have come a long way since 1995.

Good to see the MEECHAI which is an early Mayon Turbo stove.

The gravity stove (p.147) is the inspiration for the Free State Paraffin
Stove (FSP) the latter having solved a number of problems inherent in the
former. The plans for that are available from yours truly.

The stoves in Zimbabwe I was trying to describe with the build-in cupboards
are on page 163 [36/90]

It is interesting to see how few of these designs are held today to be
improved. They JIKO is an enduring example in various forms (clay-lined
truncated, inverted cone with an air choking door). That says a lot for the
efforts over the past 10 years, especially from GTZ which is a major sponsor
of the R&D that has taken place since then. In particular, even a little
test equipment can bring big changes in performance, beyond what can be seen
with the naked eye.

(Thanks Chis)

http://www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/en-stove-images3-1995.pdf

My MFBO (Multi Fuel Bread Oven) is also mentioned on page 39/166:
http://biocoal.org/9.html

cheers
Chris ADAM