[Stoves] Biochar Projects for Science Students

frank frank at compostlab.com
Mon Nov 8 12:34:17 CST 2010

Tom
Don't know where to start.
Hach has good test equipment designed for easy use.

http://www.hach.com/hc/browse.exploded.product.category.catalog/PRODCAT0560/NewLinkLabel=Laboratory+Supply

Most important I suggest the students discuss the ways to test biochar
when looking at plant response.  Its real different than studying a
fertilizer, water, temperature  or something else the plant really
needs. Biochar is a secondary response. In some soils it may hold more
water and if water is the limiting growth factor it will show. Same as
fertilizer etc.

Holding nutrients (as you state), changes in: void space, density,
microbial activity (CO2 produced),  hydraulic conductivity,  shrinkage
of clay etc. These are all important only in situations where they are
the limiting growth factor.

For the carbon sequestering I use a procedure using a pipe, filled with
biochar, screw one end cap on tight and the other one turn lose. Heat to
450 deg C in a controlled furnace and record the change in weight. The
carbon left (after ashing at 550 deg. C) will have ~80 percent carbon.
something like that.

Frank