[Stoves] UJ SeTAR Centre Coal Stove video on CNBC Africa

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 08:13:47 CST 2010

Dear Friends

There is shown here a very small downdraft coal stove designed primarily for
cooking and secondarily for heating in the Johannesburg area. The narrative
is a little odd. It does correctly credit GTZ-ProBEC and the University of
Johannesburg's SeTAR Centre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RttERwJuei4

In the beginning there is an excellent live comparison between traditional
mbaula (brazier) lighting and the top-lit updraft method of running the same
cooker with quite a spectacular difference. If someone needs one, I have a
great video of a traditional coal burning mbaula being lit - smoke beyond
belief.

The clips of the downdraft stove seem to have been chose to have 'flames'
showing (we had no control over what they chose to include!). When the stove
is actually running it is quite boring I guess - nothing to be seen
happening and nothing out the top of the chimney. Oh well. Still, you can
get an idea of what the BLDD looks like.

(www.abndigital.com)
"The brazier has serviced Africa's lower end market for generations but its
effects on health and the environment has left a lot to be desired. The
University of Johannesburg has through its research facilities innovated a
new stove on the same model. Our crew went to the University of Johannesburg
to bring us this story."