[Stoves] Biochar Projects for Science Students

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Nov 21 22:12:47 CST 2010

Dear Jeff

Very interesting question!!

Firstly, charcoal has been in the soil, for thousands of years naturally...
forest and grassland fires. If there was a problem, then forests or
grasslands would tend to show problems.

Secondly, is there any basis for feeling that there might be a long term
negative effect from adding charcoal to the soil? If so, perhaps the Science
Project could be set up to prove or disprove a hypothesis.

The video link provided by Pat
http://permaculture.org.au/2010/11/21/biochar-potential-or-pitfall-carbon-storage-vs-soil-quality/
describes test work using 25% biochar. It is not likely that commercial
growers would ever use such high biochar addition rates, except in special
applications; in special applications, the biochar could simply be water
leached or acid washed to reduce pH to acceptable levels.

Best wishes,

Kevin