[Stoves] Biochar Projects for Science Students

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 03:57:33 CST 2010

All interested in Biochar.
    High pH in biochar is like high pH in some  quartz sand, only with more
holding capacity for ions. It is not like sand made  from limestone. The
char may need to be soaked in a bath of neutralizing wash.  My approach to
biochar would be to compost it with everything else. The  microorganisms in the
compost pile should utilize the salts in the fresh  char and produce acidic
compounds, just as they turn ammonia to nitrates.  Those compounds then
will be stored in with the char for release by plant roots.
    I know that the orchid industry has been using very  high rates of
charcoal as growing media for decades. I believe that some even  use 100%
charcoal. They may be using a chemical or organic fertilizer to balance  the
fertility of the soil moisture. I think one reason they use charcoal is to
reduce fungus attack on the plant roots.
    I find it interesting that growers are having  success with biochar
soaked in urine or urea. The natural breakdown of urea  converts it into
ammonia which is highly alkaline. The soil microbes however,  convert it into
nitrates which have an acidic or neutral reaction in the soil.  Otherwise the
farming industry would not use such extensive amounts of urea  derived from
natural gas.
    The carbon structure of biochar is essentially  inert. It has the
holding capacity for large amounts of whatever you put there.  It will naturally
be charged with whatever was available in the pyrolisis  process. Charcoal
made from low ash biomass sources will be naturally purer and  more neutral.
    Think about how activated charcoal filters water.  It attracts the
impurities, leaving clean water behind. When the charcoal is  fully saturated
with impurities, it is washed or thrown out. At this point it  becomes a
battery for compounds which have been absorbed.
    The use of biochar for growing without sufficient "  charging" with
nutrients is like trying to start a car with a discharged  battery. Composting
lets nature seek it's balance. Maybe this perspective will  help those who
use Biochar fully see it's benefits.

    Dan Dimiduk