[Stoves] Biochar Projects for Science Students

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:22:31 CST 2010

Dear Andrew

I have forwarded your comment to Cecil Cook the anthropologist to ask how the Amazonians further West treated the soil. His Amazonian notebooks are four feet high. Perhaps, just maybe, he can recall what the soil structure was like. They dig down 5 feet to get azure blue honey from a ground dwelling honey bee.

My view is that people were farming the region long before the generally accepted dates. I mention that because it seems the time taken to generate such thick layers of carbon is pretty substantial. Every time I try to calculate how long it takes to accumulate the measured amounts, the answer is millennia. Slash and burn is not an efficient way to create charcoal.

Trees precipitate dust out of the air: poplars can bring down 5 tons per ha/yr.  Soil build-up during fallow times mixed with a thin char layer from the previous burn would build terra preta soils so the theory is sound. The idea that they were created deliberately seems less sound. The fertility comes from the non-char portions of the ash and is quickly depleted. Perhaps over time the burning cycle can be shortened.

It concerns me the scale of enthusiasm of the stove community for suddenly promoting char-creating stoves with the under-pinning arguments being carbon offset cash to subsidise otherwise unaffordable stoves and the putative benefits of terra preta soil. The math and economics seem a bit thin on (in) the ground.

I love the stoves of course because I love innovation. It would be a shame if the whole initiative is squashed by someone with standing and skill and no emotional investment who does their homework and discovers this is just another confluence of enthusiasm of opportunism.

Regards
Crispin in sunny Ulaanbaatar