[Stoves] K Smith Article in Energy for Sustainable Development

Otto Formo formo-o at online.no
Mon Nov 29 11:47:26 CST 2010

Dear Boston Nyer,
Low income households in Africa have an average income of less than one US$ a day and in an Urban setting spend more than 50% of their monthly income on fuel for cooking.
With rising prices on both fuel and food there is not much to spend on other items, so I would very much state that US$ 10-15 could be the maximum people in low income household are ABLE to spend in Africa.

One of the challanges in developing countries is the low income and the "lack" of money to be spend, the "none monetary economy", if you like.
In addition you have the informal sector which are outside the ordinary taxation systems.

Otto