[Stoves] MUST CHARCOAL BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

rogerio carneiro de miranda carneirodemiranda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 07:01:53 CDT 2010

Dear Crispin and others who has responded.

Making a simple calculation (see table below), I found the following
numbers based on 1 kg of Eucalyptus grandis, with 4650 kcal/kg as
fuelwood, or 7600 kcal/kg as charcoal.

Considering the worst case scenarios, with woodstoves efficiency of 10
to 15% one would get 450 to 698 kcal of energy into the pot, and to
have the same amount of energy from charcoal into the pot, one would
need to have either a relative medium charcoaling efficiency of 20%
but with a charcoal stove with 30% efficiency, or charcoal stoves of
normal efficiency around 20% but with higher charcoaling efficiencies
of  30 or 40-%.

Based on that, shouldn't be logical to assume that under "primitive"
existing  general conditions as seeing in the field today, that
cooking with wood is more energy efficient than cooking with charcoal?

Assuming that woodstoves can easily achieve 20% efficiency which
delivers 900 kcal into the pot, and to do the same job with charcol
one would need a 30% energy efficiency charcoal stove using charcoal
produced at 40% charcoaling process,  what is nearly impossible to
achieve.

Unless charcoal stoves of 40% are possible, so to use with charcoaling
kilns of high 30% efficiency?

Rogerio

			                     cooking with charcoal
 	         efficiency(%)             10%-20%-30%
                                 (kcal)
charcoaling	10%	(760)	        (76)	(152)	(22)
                        20%	(1520)	(152)	(304)	(456)
	                30%	(2280) 	(228)	(456)	(684)
                	40%	(3040) 	(304)	(608)	(912)

			cooking with fuelwood
 	efficiency(%)		10%	15%    20%  30%
	(Kcal)		        (450)	 (698)  (900)  (1350)