[Stoves] MUST CHARCOAL BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

Yury Yudkevich charwood at rambler.ru
Thu Oct 14 00:32:08 CDT 2010

Dear stoves,
Otto write:

Dear Kevin,
what you actually are "saying" is that people in developing countries
have no common sense and knowledge about polution from open
fires.............
Why do they use open fires for cooking?
The most ovious reason is that they have no choice or options.
Secondly, this is how it has been done for centuries.
It "works", why change?
The women do the collecting of wood and the cooking, so why
bather........

There is also no question about that even the best and most efficient
charcoal stoves (without a chimmny) emitts far more CO than any TLUD
gasifier stove.
The other fact is that CO also kills people in the "western" world as
well by "missuse" of gas for heating and cooking, but it does not mean
that we should stop using it!
BUT we should be VERY carefull by using open flames indoors without good
ventilation.
This is something we learn in school at early age.
If any positive progress should be "stoped" by missuse of just a few
there is no way the "World" are going to move "forward", ever.
Otto

I agree with the position of Otto. I want to remind you about the
wonderful invention of the ancient Japanese - furnace Hibatsi. Well
calcined charcoal can be safely burned in the open hearth indoors with
proper air supply.
Thank you
Yury Yudkevich.  charwood at rambler.ru
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Yudkevitch/charcoal/