[Stoves] MUST <WOOD OR> CHARCOAL BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 21:41:49 CDT 2010

Dear Crispin,
let me add some information to the natural insecticides in plants. There are
about 100,000 species of insects that feed on plants. If you looked at any
one plant species, you don't find 100,000 insect species feeding on it, but
only about 4 or 5. This means that all plant species have evolved their own
insecticides, which protect them from about 100,000 insect species, except
for those handful that have evolved immunity to that particular
phytochemical. Even pyrethrum and neem have their own insect pests. Since
the natural insecticidal chemicals in plants differ from species to species,
the insect species found on each plant species also differ. Thus one never
finds the pests of mustard on tomato, or those of tomato attacking
cotton. wheat, or sunflower. One can thus use practically any plant as a
source of insecticides, which would kill or repel all insects except for the
ones that have developed immunity to the chemical defences of that
particular plant species.
Yours
A.D.Karve

2010/10/14 Otto Formo <formo-o at online.no>

> Dear Crispin,
> thanks for the links to the mosquito repellent plants and factsheets.
>
> Otto

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *