[Stoves] CO monitoring seeking practical analogues inlocaltesting methods for the 90% of the rest of us

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:08:52 CDT 2010

Dear AD

We know about the blood thing - but how can any strip that changes colour, for example, tell us anything about stove performance?

A test of CO exposure (next to or far from the stove) tells us about the room, not the stove, because different rooms will give a different rating from the same stove. Changing both stoves and rooms tells us nearly nothing.

A stove test (which I thought we were discussing) is not going to be very helpful if the answer is 'a lot'.  If we change the stove creating more excess air and the answer is 'a lot, but different' it is not helpful at all.

It is important for backyard stove makers to be clear about the difference between stove testing and air quality testing. They are fundamentally different yet are frequently bundled in discussion.

Your fan
Crispin
 localtesting methods for the 90% of the rest of us

http://www.bioenergylists.org/
Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org