[Stoves] CO- and Oxygen-affinity to haemoglobine

andrew heggie list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 15:05:14 CDT 2010

On Monday 25 October 2010 19:09:47 Boll, Martin Dr. wrote:

> -CO has about 250 times higher binding-affinity to haemoglobin than O2
> ! !>
>
> -The halftime-binding of CO is normally 320 minutes.

Good stuff Martin, I think half life is a more normal translation i.e. the
amount of CO in the blood decreases by half every 320 minutes.

> -By hyper-bar-therapy, (breathing under 3 bar pressure) 100% oxygen,
> the time (of half-time binding) is shortened from 320 minutes to 23
> minutes.
>

> -And additional, the physically solved O2  (-by breathing pure O2 at 3
> bar pressure-), fills the "lack of oxygen" during the time of
> competitive inhibition for oxygenation in all tissues in that time of
> 23 minutes. In that case the partial pressure of O2 is about 2200mm Hg,
> - while the partial-pressure of oxygen is normally 80 to 100 mmHg when
> breathing normal air at normal pressure (760mm Hg)

This is interesting, my take on it is that haemoglobin in the red blood
corpuscles normally allows far more oxygen to be carried in a loosely
chemically bound form than would be physically dissolved in the blood
fluids. By supplying oxygen under pressure even though the blood
corpuscles have been inhibited by more strongly binding with carbon
monoxide the extra oxygen dissolved in the blood fluid is sufficient to
aid the normal corpuscles while the carbon monoxide is eradicated,

AJH