[Stoves] Hilary Clinton announcing $50 million for cleaner cookstoves

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Wed Sep 22 17:58:58 CDT 2010

Lloyd,
Thanks much for your coverage of the big news today: Its great that the US State department, the Clinton foundation and other larger donors are getting interested in efficient stoves and fuels for development and extension within Africa.

Its a world we have never had the overheads to penetrate ourselves but we will not be alone this time: Fortunately, the majority of this group share our own commitment to practical, direct and locally sustained aid: If any of us were to succeed in accessing the beneficence of these global initiatives, it will be money well spent-- as any one's success and exposure, really benefits of all of us.

However in your reference to us, you state that we fund such organisations as Approvecho. and EWB. While we would love to be able to do that, frankly we are not set up to do so and never have been. While we laud their work and have greatly benefitted from their insights from time to time, we have a very specific focus on collaborative R&D, production training, set up of self sustaining nationally managed training teams and an ongoing participation in the growing,  network of fellow briquetters.

Thanks for the mention none the less. Lets all hope for the best eh?

I wanted to also mention that Legacy Foundation is shortly launching a briquette producers conference in Arusha Tanzania (between the 9th and 14th of November). It is specifically intended to engage actual producers and production trainers from the eastern half of that continent. While most nations have responded favorably, there is still a lack of commitment from the DRC, Mozambique, Rwanda, and Zimbabwe,  If anyone knows of active producer projects there please let us know. The other nations are pretty much committed already.

Pressing on,

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org