[Stoves] RE ARUSHA BRIQUETTE CONFERENCE

sekiku Joseph sekiku at satconet.net
Thu Sep 23 22:28:34 CDT 2010

Dear Richard and the organizers of the Arusha Stove Conference,

I am called Joseph Sekiku and come from Kagera region, NW Tanzania. I am myself into promoting the use of renewable energy for the numerous environmental and human benefits. I wrote some notes on the HEDON NEWS website a few years ago and also have been following very closely the developments by many promoters of cookstoves via the  stoves mailing list.

I would be happy to participate in the Arusha conference because of the opportunity this seems to avail to the development of working solutions that are intended to improve rural livelihoods.

THE SITUATION IN KARAGWE/ KAGERA REGION:

1. RURAL HOUSEHOLD POVERTY
2. ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION
3. INCREASED INDOOR POLLUTION AND RESPIRATORY INFENCTIONS

a) Rural Household Poverty: The chains and confines of poverty (income poverty) is eating into the heart of rural households. With uncertain and unstable incomes, rural households find themselves torn apart. The choice to have a meal, to meet the essential commodities, the requirement to cost share in education, health, etc.. leaves the rural household at a cross road- because, the meagre income has to be shared to meet also the needs to cook a meal.

This quest to have an income not only has forced rural households to clear forests/ trees to make charcoal that is sold in urban areas. The efforts at replanting are very small- but also considering the rate at which forests are cut , ftrees that have taken years to matures are cleared in a day. So it becomes more the questions of survival other than environment conservation.

b) increasing urbanisation is increasing pressure on natural resources. The fact that most households in urban areas depend on charcoal to cook meals, has made efforts to prevent further environmental (deforestation) impossible in Kargawe. Peoople have no alternative power to cook food: Electricirty from the grid is available only to a minute population and it is very expensive. The use of grid power for cooking and industrialization is still underveloped also- and limited for lighting purposes only.

So it is also difficult for the law enforcer to stop tree cutting because, he too uses charcoalt to cook his food. No alternative has been put to the comunities.

BUT IN KARAGWE, THERE IS ALOT OF BIOMASS FROM COFFEE FACTORIES. Over 40,000 Metric tons of coffeee husks is produced every year- but this ends up as ash because the factories just burn these husks.

I have been wondering, how much energy is lost through this? A lot of energy is lost and nothing is done.

So I find that the Arusha conference will help me learn how perhaps to develop cooffe husk brickets, jikos or cook stoves that wold employ these coofee husks... to save the forests.

I will write more.

Regards,

Sekiku Joseph  Director
FADECO Community Radio
Plot 281/283 Kagera Street, Ruzinga Area, Kayanga
PO Box 223, Karagwe- Kagera Region (Tanzania)
Tell  +255 28 2227024 Telefax +255 28 2227033  Mobile |+255 754 605682
Email: sekiku"satconet.net  Web www.fadeco.org