[Stoves] Jatropha Briquette Information from Legacy

Anna Segur Anna.Segur at Colorado.EDU
Fri Sep 24 17:51:29 CDT 2010

Dear Mr. Stanley,

Thank you for your detailed response.  We will be happy to cite your work
and share any findings with your organization.  Bernard says he has some of
the manuals, but I am not sure if he has the Theory and Apps one.  I will be
checking this weekend.

The student team (Boston Nyer and Kristen Matsumura) will be following up on
the technical information that you have outlined below.

Thank you!

Anna

From: Richard Stanley [mailto:rstanley at legacyfound.org]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 4:35 PM
To: Anna Segur
Cc: Stoves and biofuels network; biomass; fuelbriquetting
Subject: Re: Jatropha Briquette Information

Anna,

Thanks for your enquiry but we have not tested Jatropa per se.   I am
confident though, that somewhere in one of the above copied list
serves/newsgroups, there is the answer to your questions about Jatropa
combustion and emissions..

As far as its use in briquette making -of the wet process ambient temp low
pressure type which we extoll-, it is both tempting resource and likely to
be a very problematic one...  While the cake  can serve as a fuel in its own
right, if it is symbolic of the other types of seed cakes expellate we have
attempted to use, it can cause  problems when added into the mix of wet
pulped agro residues, and compressed / dewatered, into a briquette,  in the
usual fashion.

 The reason is that the the residual adhered oil in said cake tends to
lubricate  the otherwise   tightly compacted,  elastically deformed, and
randomly aligned, interlocking  fibers --which do the real work of binding
of the briquette. The resulting briquettes are mushy and weak even after
weeks of drying in the open (sunny) air. The same blends-- without such
seedcake additives-- typically dry to ambient humidity in a few days under
the same climatic conditions.

Of course lowering the proportion of the expellate will have better
results...I unfortunatley do not have any numbers on this though.

What I know you can do, is use the "foots" of the oils -the "oily chunky mix
of saturated bits of the plant which managed to get through the seive and
settle out of the oil. This stuff is otherwise useless. It always
accumilates on the bottom of the oil collection tray and the floor of such
pressing operations. It is useful to briquetters however when they dip their
already-dried briquettes in it <to a depth of  about 1/4th their height for
a few seconds. That will consumme about 1-3 cubic cm of the material.
Provided that the other ingredients and prep process has been done
correctly, a very nice quick-igniting --yet still structurally integral--
briquette is the result.

On the issue of jatropa combustion and emissivity:

I was in contact with ITDG (UK) on production of Jatropa in Central America,
in March of this year. In that exchange they cited this report