[Stoves] don't burn the charcoal bury it

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Sep 27 14:10:39 CDT 2010

Jeff,

Loong time since  my response to your last post apologies just get too wrapped up in doings here...I recall that you had mentioned a friend of yours there who ws getting into briqueting ... How is that going?

On your post today re biochar, its a  very thoughtful piece.
Thanks for it.
I have sent it out to two emerging biochar briquetters out there as I am nto in favor if it myself but do not have the technical background to defend my position. I rather take a more utilitarian approach from the user perspective.

On the biomass briquette side, it maks little snce to go to teh touble of making biochar...when we can use the 15 to 20% waste product that naturally acumilates on the sellers stall floor-- from their normal handling of the lump charcoal. Useing those fines (dust and crumbs) in a typical grass straw biomass briquette  will about double the sellers market reach, or conversely they can greatly reduce their charcoal supply, and still reach the same market...A typical grass and straw briquette which has been augmented by 15 - 20% charcoal dust cumbs (the briquette typically weighs 140 grams), will about greatly increase it heat output --in fact it typically provides the same heat ouput as 140 grams of lump charcoal.

And more important that anything the briquette begins to "look like charcoal" .

We hardly need to go to the cost and carbon footrpint and human energy expenditure of creating char for this purpose...

Richard Stanley