[Stoves] Improved Stoves without chimneys being used indoors or not?

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 6 14:52:04 CDT 2011

Stovers,

I received a question and I share my response so that others can comment.

> Since Africa has a far
> higher incidence of death from indoor air pollution than any other
> continent.  Do you understand the reason for that to be that more people
> cook inside their homes than in other continents?

In America we cook inside our houses.  But we have clean stoves.

A greater percentage of people in Africa are using poor, smokey
stoves/3-stone fires without ventilation of the cooking area.

> If not, do you know what
> the reason is?  Are you aware of any projects where people who have
> traditionally cooked inside their homes have been persuaded over the long
> term to cook outside in order to use a clean burning cookstove?

I do not know of efforts to convince people who cook indoors with bad
stoves to move their stoves outside.  Comments, anyone?   But see next
comment.

> I see
> pictures on the websites of various of stove makers of stoves being used
> both indoors and out.  Is there a protocol for indoor versus outdoor use
> among stovemakers?

The vast majority of stove makers do NOT recommend that their stoves
be used inside unless there is a chimney.  Potential liability issues,
probably.

But my question is:  when people who have terrible smokey homes get an
improved cookstove ICS that is much cleaner, but not super clean and
no chimney, do they simply use it indoors?   Or do the new stove and
stove providers alter the cooking habits so much that the households
take the ICS outside or into a better ventilated room?

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)