[Stoves] Re : Improved Stoves without chimneys being used indoors or not? (Paul S. Anderson)

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:21:50 CDT 2011

Paul wrote "But my question is:  when people who have terrible smokey homes
get an improved cookstove ICS that is much cleaner, but not super clean and
no chimney, do they simply use it indoors?   Or do the new stove and stove
providers alter the cooking habits so much that the households take the ICS
outside or into a better ventilated room?"

In Benin, I tend to think yes, they would use it indoors. In fact, they
would just do as they always did. People are creatures of habits, especially
here. Even if it means breathing smoke. I have one example I am developing
in a new post, since it raises more questions.

We are advising our customers to cook outside whenever they can. I even
advised a kitchen staff to break a wall of a horribly smoky dark kitchen, so
they could rejoin a covered, and unused outdoor area. I think yes, stove
providers should always do that. It is part of our "pack" of advises. We
have the feeling they will only follow it 10% of them, anyways, we'll keep
on repeating them tirelessly.

Crispin wrote "BTW lots and lots of Africans cook outside when it is sunny
and under a shelter built for the purpose, often called the kitchen.  Many
have open sides."

Yep I confirm it is exactly that in Benin, they seem to prefer to work
outside. Under a shelter, because they avoid sun as much as possible.

Regards,

Xavier