[Stoves] Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves Newsletter - April 2011

Leslie Black Cordes cookstoves at unfoundation.org
Thu Apr 28 22:41:05 CDT 2011

cid:image002.jpg at 01CC05CF.B3A2ECB0

Improved stove in South America.Dear Donors & Partners,

It is with great pleasure that I send you the first newsletter of the Global
Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.

The Alliance's mission is to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women,
and combat climate change by creating a thriving global market for clean and
efficient household cooking solutions.  Since our launch last September, we
have made important strides toward advancing these goals.

Through our Working Groups and Cross-Cutting Committees
<http://cleancookstoves.org/working-groups/> , we have convened the global
stove sector - more than 350 experts - to identify the key actions needed to
create a thriving global market for clean cookstoves and fuels.  The groups'
topics range from health, climate research, and finance and investment to
standards and testing, gender issues, and more. They recently submitted
Early Action recommendations for the Alliance to consider undertaking in the
next year.  We look forward to supporting as many of these recommendations
as funding will allow.

Another objective of the Alliance is to raise public awareness of the need
for clean cookstoves.  Through increased global press coverage and feature
segments on programs, such as the Martha Stewart and Oprah television shows,
we have begun to engage the general public in supporting clean cooking
solutions.

Lastly, we are actively engaging with donor and implementing country
governments to encourage the establishment of national policies that will
ensure that clean cookstoves reach the millions of women around the world
who need them.

We look forward to sharing our successes through future newsletters and
working with you to promote improved cookstoves and fuels around the globe.

Sincerely,

Leslie Cordes
Interim Executive Director

<http://cleancookstoves.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Children-with-clean-s
tove-Lisa-Feldman1.png> Rocket stove in Africa.

Upcoming Events: Cookstoves on Oprah!

On May 7th, Oprah Winfrey will host a special television show called
"Extraordinary Moms" in honor of Mother's Day.  The show will feature an
interview with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton talking about
cookstoves and the impact that they have on women around the world.  The
Alliance's new Global Ambassador will also be revealed on the show!  We ask
you to publicize this event on your website, Facebook page, or on Twitter,
and make sure to watch what is sure to be a very inspirational show!

In May, the U.S. Government's National Institutes of Health will lead a
workshop in Washington, DC, to discuss what is known about the health
impacts of harmful cookstove smoke and to determine critical research gaps
that, if addressed, can help identify strategies for improving the health of
poor women and children globally.  We look forward to sharing the outcomes
of this conference with our Partners and Donors when they are available.

For other Upcoming Events of interest, please click here
<http://cleancookstoves.org/events/> .

Global Forum in Peru

In February, the Alliance was pleased to participate in the 5th Biennial
Forum on Clean Indoor Air in Lima, Peru, hosted by
<http://www.pciaonline.org/> The Partnership for Clean Indoor Air (PCIA).
With over 350 attendees from more than 40 countries, it was the largest
cookstove conference ever held.  In the next year, we plan to integrate PCIA
and the Alliance, building on existing initiatives and engaging the current
network of over 460 organizations around the world to achieve our goal of
100 million households adopting clean Global Forum Attendeesstoves by 2020.
In 2010, PCIA partners disseminated more than 2.5 million stoves, a great
point from which to build. The Forum afforded us a terrific opportunity to
meet many of the PCIA partners in person and begin the integration process.

The Forum also yielded a number of significant outcomes, including the Lima
Consensus, an agreement to establish an interim cookstove rating system
"that reflects the varying tiers of performance in the areas of fuel
efficiency, indoor air quality, emissions of particulate matter and carbon
monoxide, and safety."  This agreement is an important step along the path
toward developing voluntary global cookstove standards.  We hope it will
lead to a formal interim rating system that can be used by household energy
stakeholders.  The proposed rating system, which is fuel- and stove-neutral,
will enable our community to have a better understanding of the performance
of existing stove models and drive innovation to improve performance.

Another exciting outcome of the Forum was the establishment of the African
Alliance for Clean Cooking, a consortium of African organizations that are
working to address regional stove issues and collaborate on effective
solutions to the challenges they face.  For more information on this group,
please contact
<mailto:dmuskisa23 at gmail.com?subject=African%20Alliance%20on%20Clean%20Cooki
ng> David Mukisa, the AACC's coordinator.

It was a great pleasure to have the Peruvian Government welcome our Forum
participants to Lima and showcase its National Cookstove Program.  As the
first developing country to join the Alliance as a National Partner, Peru's
commitment to the distribution of clean cooking solutions to its citizens is
a model we hope many other nations will adopt.  We were honored to have
First Lady Pilar Nores de Garcia attend Forum events, present PCIA's Global
Leadership Awards, and host a visit to a village in the Lima highlands where
efficient stoves have been installed.

The Alliance looks forward to hosting similar global events in the future.

New Partners Joining the Alliance

We are delighted to announce that in the last few months the Governments of
Malta, Norway, Denmark and the United Kingdom have joined the Alliance as
Donors.  In addition, we are excited to welcome Honduras, El Salvador, and
Tanzania as new National Partners; we welcome their commitment to support
clean cookstoves and fuels within their borders.

We strongly encourage all organizations involved in the manufacturing or
distribution of stoves to enroll as Implementing Partners.  This includes
all current PCIA members.  This will not happen automatically, so we need
updated information!  To join, please
<http://cleancookstoves.org/the-alliance/partnership-opportunities/> click
here.

Finally, we are actively pursuing additional Donor Partners from the
foundation and private sectors to join so they can participate in and
support the work of the Alliance and our Implementing Partners.  For a full
listing of all our current Partners,
<http://cleancookstoves.org/the-alliance/partners/> click here.

1800 Massachusetts Avenue, NW . Suite 400 . Washington, DC  20036 .
202-650-5345
 <http://www.cleancookstoves.org> www.cleancookstoves.org .
<http://www.facebook.com/cookstoves> facebook.com/cookstoves .
<http://twitter.com/#!/cookstoves> Twitter: @cookstoves