[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 11, Issue 41

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 00:00:05 CDT 2011

Dear Xavier,
you are quite right. Our cookers, which cook food (rice, vegetables,
beans/meat) for 4,8 and 20 persons, use only 100g, 150 g and 500 g
charcoal respectively. Our charcoal, made from dry leaves of
sugarcane, has a high ash content of about 33% and calorific value of
only 17640 kjoules/kg. But in our cookers, the heat of the stove is
not used just to heat the bottom of the pot. The skirting around the
cooker transfers the heat also to the sides of the cooker. People just
don't believe in these figures until they have seen a demonstration.
The ash from this charcoal consists mainly of SiO2. The users of our
cookers use the ash for cleaning the pots.
 Yours
A.D.Karve