[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:36:59 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

I am not sure how many stove are being worked on as Jatropha seed or oil or
cake burners, but my understanding was the main thrust was to put to use
some of the leftovers from biofuel production, especially that was the focus
in Tanzania.

It seems those farmers who invested in Jatropha production lost about $65
per ha http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es201943v so my question is
whether or not there is much point in working on (perhaps) whole seed
stoves. Perhaps if the J-oil industry suffers a quick death there will still
be a meaningful supply of oily seed fuel that  can be burned relatively
easily with a decent performance and controllability. At least until they go
back to sunflower which looks a lot more promising.

Has anyone made a sunflower seed burning stove? The oil runs up to 49% on
some varieties.

Always looking for new ideas.