[Stoves] A heat-resistant insulation mix

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:22:22 CDT 2011

Hello Xavier,

          Just a long shot here, but is your space between the walls sealed enough that you might be able to use plain old sand? Is sand available to you plentifully enough? While I can think of things like kao-wool insulating blanket which would offer a 1200 deg.c. insulation without burnout, this may be completely out of reach both cost and supply wise. Sand may not be the best at stopping heat transfer, but it might be good enough, and free. Another thought might be your inner wall surrounded by sand and a mid wall and more sand before the outer wall. One could maybe use some scrap metal to create a "midwall" with sand on both sides creating two thermal breaks (different material types coming into contact) as a way of focusing more heat back into the burn chamber and less radiant heat transfer through the outer wall.......food for thought.
Roger.