[Stoves] Olivier Char-making Stove

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Aug 9 20:58:24 CDT 2011

Ron,

To understand better the burner housing,
let me present two drawings.
The first is a drawing of the entire gasifier:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/140%20Gasifier%20Drawings%20in%20PDF/001.pdf
There you see the burner housing situated at the top of the reactor.
The second is a drawing of the burner housing:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/140%20Gasifier%20Drawings%20in%20PDF/012.pdf
The two arrows indicate the flow of secondary air.
The secondary air rises vertically between the reactor and the burner
housing.
It hits the flange, and its flow becomes horizontal.
It comes into contact with the burner holes where it combines with the gas,
and ignition takes place.

I do not see anything so special about this design.
It does not come as a result of a theoretical calculation.
I drew it in 3-D, it looked good, I had it fabricated and it worked.
Before this design, I used a housing,
but the housing did not have the horizontal flange or the one-inch riser
ring above it.

I was not copied on Crispin's answer about the position of the flame.
Also I did not see the question about a chimney to create a natural draft.
A chimney would be awkward in controlling air flow.
The person using the stove would have only one heat setting based on the
height of the chimney.
A chimney would also increase the height of the gasifier and would force the
reactor to be shorter.
A shorter reactor means less burn time.
The small fan consumes very little electricity.
The amount of electricity consumes (< 1 watt) certainly cannot be an issue.

I constructed several gasifiers of a 500 mm diameter.
It is easy to light such a big gasifier.

I am not sure what you mean by a turn-down ratio.
If we divide a fairly safe flame height of 8 inches by a half inch (minimal
height),
we get a turn-down ratio of 16.
Is this what you mean?
Controlling heat output is very important in a cooking situation.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier