[Stoves] New type of sawdust stove in Gambia

Rok Oblak rok.stoves at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 01:08:12 CDT 2011

Hi Crispin, very interesting application for briquettes as well

I was using a similar technique, where the sticks were inserted from
underneath of the horizontally laid briquettes with the vertical hole in the
middle (same thing as a sawdust stove). It kept the flames going all the
time.

http://holeyroket.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/img_62071.jpg
http://holeyroket.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/img_62021.jpg

In that case in Malawi this was used for 2 reasons; one being the poor
quality briquettes that weren't burning well and the other that with more or
less sticks pushed in, you were able to regulate the fire output as with the
3-stones fire that people were already used to cook with.. Check these
photos for a reference. Very little help was needed, but it was quite
essential to prevent the smoke - same as you're saying

I also found myself pushing a stick right through a briquette sometimes with
the new side-fed briquette stove, its good for keeping up the fire with no
smoke at the startup.. you think it could be beneficial making bigger holes
higher up the combustion chamber or it would cool the air in the combustion
chamber too much maybe when the sticks would not be inserted? Worth trying
though

Cheers
Rok

--