[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 17 21:01:30 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,

   I will be certain to drop in to see you the next time I am passing
through, ~ which isn't actually that often.
The last time I was in the Waterloo area I was attending a meeting at
RTI, the fast pyrolysis company located there -- talking about Biochar,
of course.

  I would like to do some emissions tests, but I don't have the Jatropha
(that was only in MA).  It works with wood pellets too, of course (it
was designed for pellets).  I'd like to try other fuels too (maybe
Switchgrass pellets?). ~ What I am really wanting to try are (used,
dried) "Soap Nut" berries (from the Sapindus Mukorossi
<http://www.sapindusmukorossi.com/> tree -- other species are also found
in different parts of the country), which are apparently ubiquitous in
Nepal - generally Soapnuts are mostly found on the Western Part of
Nepal. http://www.forestrynepal.org/resources/trees/sapindus-mukorossi

   Soapnuts are known as 'Rithha' in Nepali, and they are used
traditionally as soap over there for washing wool garments.
They are actually among the list of herbs and minerals in Ayurveda. They
are a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic shampoos and cleansers and are
used in Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for eczema, psoriasis, and for
"removing freckles". Soap nuts also have gentle insecticidal properties
and are traditionally used for removing lice.

  If the planting of (both edible and non-edible) nut trees** could be
promoted not only for their agricultural (income-producing) value but
also for their energy (fuels) value [for stoves] ~ they might even
become more valuable standing than if they are cut down. This could
possibly then become a powerful incentive for promoting reforestation
and afforestation since people could end up making more money planting
and caring for the trees (and harvesting the fruits and nuts from them)
than by chopping them down to make whole-wood fuels (like "cooking
charcoal").

**Note: Nut trees are some of the best carbon sequestering trees.
Agroforestry systems with Fruit and Nut trees for food can produce a lot
of calories. Someone once told me that an acre of apple trees can
produce "20 million calories". A million calories can easily produce
enough calories (on ~1/10 of an acre) for 1 person for a year. (== 2740
calories/day, which is actually higher than the "2,000 calorie diet"
that is typically recommended by nutritionists.)

  P.S. The biggest problem with the J-nuts was starting the fire at the
top. I had to spend some time crushing and opening up a handful of nuts
to place on top so that the oils would be released and it would light
easier.  (I also 'cheated' and soaked the top layer of crushed J-nuts in
97% IPA before throwing a match on. I don't know how easy [or clean] it
is to start the stove without the IPA. I suspect that in places like
Africa and Nepal IPA isn't quite as easy to come by.)

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."