[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 19 07:11:50 CDT 2011

Anand,
   Thanks for clarifying this.  This is exactly how I did the J-nut
burn. I did not open the "capsules" -- they were burned together with
the seed, so there was hopefully very little exposure to the toxic oils
inside. (They would likely have been volatalized within the shell in the
heat and made their was through the shell to be burned as vapour/gas in
the flame.)
See:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/69Po3mIZt6--spdkLMkqIxX2ufyqTfkQhVPSbVND1WQ?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/102212194234232824351/August182011?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-ks77A4PyWVw#5642046522573742050>
(This is a photo of the Jatropha nuts (J-nuts) both before and after
running through my TLUD stove. After carbonizing, you can see that the
seedpods shrink somewhat, but are essentially intact. ~ note: I was a
little concerned at first that if I did not crack open the seedpods that
they might 'pop' like popcorn...  That didn't happen, luckily. ;-)

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."