[Stoves] Large TLUDs for greenhouse heat and CO2

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Thu Aug 25 02:43:49 CDT 2011

In a message dated 8/25/2011 2:39:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
psanders at ilstu.edu writes:

DD; Dan Dimiduk replies

Dear  Alex, Crispin, Hugh, Paul W., Dale, Christa, Tom and others,

I found  the document Alex cited about CO2 in greenhouses to be
extremely  interesting.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-077.htm

There  has been occasional discussion at BEF Stove Camps and elsewhere
on  the use of larger TLUDs in small greehouses for both heat and for
CO2.  With some proper CO and CO2 or O2 and smoke detectors to  provide
safety features, the igniting of quality-checked large TLUDs  WITH FAN
ASSISTANCE (to assure best combustion and to help with  circulation)
would make great sense for small greehouses.

The  document gives some basic numbers that we could use for
calculations, but all the examples are for very large greenhouses  and
using propane and natural gas.  But perhaps the "number  crunchers" in
our group could calculate the heat and CO2 from a  TLUD-FA with perhaps
a 30 gallon capacity burning chips or  pellets.  And then match that
with a size of greenhouse in some  appropriate climate/temperature zone.

If safe and appropriate, perhaps  5 or more TLUDs could be prepared and
(automatically?) ignited at  specific times through the night.  The
concept could be  scalable within the range of small to medium
greenhouses.

If  interested, please respond initially via the Stoves listserv and
also to the addresses of this message.  If there is interest, then  a
working group could be created off-line from the  Listserv.

Paul S. Anderson,  PhD

DD:
    Paul,
    How soon do you want to start the experiment?   I am taking possession
of five acres tomorrow through a lease purchase to build  a new plant
nursery. I have little time to rebuild my entire little greenhouse  complex this
fall due to the urgency of my forced business relocation.
    My plan is to quickly construct one or two small  greenhouses in order
to preserve my tropical plant collection and start some  annuals for next
Spring. Next summer I hope to reconstruct the large greenhouse  bigger and
better than the old version you saw decaying a few years ago.
    Any and all ideas for collaboration will be  considered. Until the
entire site is excavated and sub drained only small,  portable, temporary
structures will be constructed. I have considered purchasing  one of Tom Reeds
larger camp stoves for experimentation unless someone has a  donation TLUD
stove. I am on a limited budget while restarting my landscape  business from
scratch. Ideally I need a stove that will burn slowly unattended  all night.
    Plenty of fuel will be available from clearing the  site as well as my
small firewood selling operation. I had well over 30  cords of small trees
sitting stacked around a friends farm  in northwest Miami County last Spring.
I bet most of it is still there for the  taking.
    Anytime you are driving through Dayton please call  and arrange a visit
to my new site. It's only a mile from I-675. Less than  5 miles from I-70.
The new site will be very unimproved and  primitive for some time, bring
boots.

     Dan Dimiduk