[Stoves] Fuel production, biochar, and feeding the stove in 2040

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:48:34 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,
my daughter has a Ph. D. in physics. I am the biologist in the family.
I have been thinking about a possible way in which charcoal applied to
the soil might be beneficial to plants. Water is a universal solvent.
Even quartz and silicate minerals like bauxite dissolve in water to
yield a silica solution of 5 to 10 PPM concentration. A crop of wheat
or rice removes annually 250 kg silica from an area of 1 hectare.
The fact that even the so called insoluble minerals like quartz and
opal dissolve in water, suggests that charcoal buried in the soil
might also be dissolved in water and absorbed by plants and microbes.
There are no records of molecular carbon being metabolized by living
organismas, but this line of thinking needs to be followed up and
investigated.
Yours
A.D.Karve