[Stoves] more TLUDs in history

Nat of WorldStove nataniele at aim.com
Sun Aug 28 21:51:26 CDT 2011

Dear Cripsin, Paal, Paul and stovers

Paal is clearly one of most important forefathers of modern improved cookstoves for he is one of the first (as noted by Paul) to apply formal experimentation to stove development.

Crispin is also right in noting that Top Lit Updraft technology has been around for a long time. There evidence that middle Pleistocene hominids used top lit fires in pits for smokeless heat and cooking, as it is also the case in Greece during the Upper Paleolithic period.

As far as concentrator lids, also known as orifice plates or restrictors, they are commonplace in combustion and fluid dynamic studies.  In large versions, FAO in the sixties used them in some of their improved charcoal kilns designs, and in stoves, they have been used for many decades (if not centuries). Notable examples are Giese's protable biomass cookstove in 1959 or Nottingham's precursor to the Gaia (former electrolux) alcohol stove from 1921.

What makes Paal's earlier and continued efforts so significant is he, like Reed and Larson and Crispin, make stove improvements following scientific principles rather than trial and error thereby accelerating and refining the current state of the art in ways that have helped many.

Here's to Paal and others following his good examples.

Nat of WorldStove

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

Message: 2